Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Penny Pitcher Free Project

For all of our new friends and followers and for all of you that may have missed this tutorial a few months ago, I decided to post it again.

Lately I have been designing wool applique patterns and thought you might enjoy a fun little tutorial. I am a penny "pincher," but this is called penny "pitcher." hee,hee,hee. I crack myself up!
I truly love a warm country look in my home and wanted to make something that I could hang from a peg hook or a doorknob in the kitchen to add a little color and fun. This project would also make a great gift. You could add a card and some flower seeds or candy or whatever you like.
So let's get hopp'in with our Penny Pitcher!

First you need some wool felt. I have these kits in my SHOP along with many other supplies and patterns.


You will also need some fusible web.  I am the queen of using fusible web! LOOOOOOOOVE IT! Ok...sorry about that. I get carried away sometimes.

Trace the pattern pieces onto the fusible web. Like I said, I'm a penny pincher, so I'm pretty stingy with my fusible web. I try not to waste any of it so I trace smaller pieces into larger areas.
This is how I cut them out.
Now fuse the pieces to the wool felt. There really isn't a wrong or right side to the wool felt. I usually just pick a side. Once you have fused the pieces down, cut them out on the pencil line.

You will need two 5 3/4" x 9" pieces of black wool for the background. You also need a 3/4" x 2 3/4" piece of yellow wool and a 5 3/4" x 1" piece of orange wool. These sizes are all listed on the layout page for your convenience.

Using the layout page as a guide, fuse the pieces in place onto one of the background pieces. Oooo...pretty!


Now you need some floss. I'm a designer with Valdani Threads and I Looooooooove their 3 Strand, handoverdyed, colorfast floss. These are the colors I used for this project. Kits are in my SHOP.
Now add some decorative stitching to your applique. I like using a running stitch as I like a simple, primitive look. If you like a blanket stitch, then you could use that. Whatever makes you happy! :) I also used 1/4" buttons inside my flowers.

When stitching the orange strip, don't stitch the sides or the bottom just yet.


Now you'll need some freezer paper for this part. Trace 4 penny flaps onto the dull side of the freezer paper.

Then fold a piece of black felt in half. Line the top of the freezer paper flaps up on the fold of the felt. Now cut your flaps out on the pencil lines.


Next, fuse the stars to the flaps keeping them closer to the bottom as the top of the flap will be sewn inside the background pieces.

Make simple stitches around the star to hold in place and add a button. Then fold the flap over and stitch together around the edge.


Whip stitch the penny flaps to the back of the appliqued piece being sure to line them all up.


Pin the remaining 5 3/4" x 9" piece of black wool to the appliqued piece. Now stitch the sides and bottom of the orange strip securing the front and back wool pieces together.


And then stitch down the sides leaving the top open. Again, use whatever stitch you like.


Add a piece of wire for hanging. You could also use some jute, ribbon, or yarn if you don't have wire.


Finally, fill your little Penny Pitcher with flowers, a card, candy or whatever you like and you're done! Wasn't that fast and fun?

Here are the links to the pattern layout and the pieces.

http://www.theraspberryrabbits.com/editor_uploads/pennypitcher.pdf

http://www.theraspberryrabbits.com/editor_uploads/pennypitcherp.pdf




xx, Michelle, Harrington and Hannah

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a pretty design Shell,thankyou for sharing.xx

SewCalGal said...

What a beautiful project. And, of course, I love your bunnies. I sure hope they'll show up in the Pets on Quilts Show, hosted by Lilypad Quilting this year. Starts August lst.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yay, cute cute cute!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello Bunnies! HI MICHELLE!!! I love, I just LOVE the look of folk art and felt. You my dear are living your dream DAILY! OOOOOH HOW FUN! May all be well with you and the fuzzy ones!! Anita

Denise :) said...

Oh this is so cute!!! Michelle, thank you again for being so generous in your sharing!! :)

Sue said...

Hi Michelle, thanks for sharing this pretty pattern, I shall have to make one or two!

Little Miss Titch said...

very pretty design

Jade said...

So cute, but the bunnehs at the end are the cutest!

Will email you in more depth soon--things are crazy here right now (but it's a good crazy, so it's all good!)

paperpest said...

Thanks for pattern, I hope to find the time to do this one.

Loris said...

Such a lovely piece. Definitely worth sharing again!
Love to those bunnies :-)

BipolarBunny said...

Bunnies for Barack!!
I've started a new blog. I hope you will come and see it. Please send pictures.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Not only a free project but a super tutorial too! Thank you!
Deb

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Absolument merveilleux !
bisous de FRANCE

Little Miss Titch said...

Hi Michelle,you guys have won a suprize scarf in Speedy's bonus draw please contact us to arrange delivery.xo Speedy's mum

Sherri said...

Shell, how cute!!! Hi Hannah and Harrington!!

Barb said...

That is so adorable!

daisydilly (vicki) said...

thanks for sharing

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...