Monday, May 5, 2014

A Designer's Journey

So the other week I showed you a sneaky peaky of a new Folk Art Fusion piece I was working on.


A basket with some flowers.


It was inspired by these fabrics from Kim Diehl.


The more I worked on the design, the more I began to struggle. I thought these flowers were cute, but they didn't seem right. I wasn't feeling the love.

It felt like, "Been there, saw that, done that, oh please not another one that looks like every other designer out there!"


So back to the drawing board I went, pulling from some past drawings for inspiration.


I drew and erased,




and drew and erased (yes I draw by hand, no computer). I spent two whole days on this until I felt the magic.


Then I gathered my wool felt and started putting colors together.


I decided not to put any of the fabric pieces in the Folk Art Fusion part.

I love working with wool felt. I love teaching Folk Art Fusion. I sell the wool felt colors and sell kits. Unlike fabric collections, the wool felt colors stay around a long time.

This makes it super nice for students, customers and me as we don't have to stress about finding the perfect fabrics.


So...this is where the journey took me. This is the beginning of the revised "May Basket." Now to get stitching and adding embellishments to make it a true Folk Art Fusion piece.

Patterns and kits coming this Summer. Hope you like it so far. I'm loving it. It's me and true to my Folk Art Fusion style.

Here's a little Lindsey for this Monday. This song is called Zi-zi's journey. I listened to it while I was drawing. Funny how sometimes you just need to take a little journey to figure things out.



I can't wait to see Lindsey in concert next month!
xx,
Michelle and the Bunnies

27 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

I LOVE where your journey took you. This is a perfectly YOU piece, Shell. I can finally get back to playing, now that my studio redux is finished. Wishing you a joyful and creative week.
xo
D

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I hear ya, sweet Shell! ((hugs))
So happy your mojo kicked in and the real you came to the fore. Love it, absolutely love it. xxxx

Jo in TAS said...

Wow Shell, this is gorgeous.

Fiona said...

lovely to see the process.. and what a result.. it's just lovely...
Hugz

Fiona said...

lovely to see the process.. and what a result.. it's just lovely...
Hugz

Chris said...

Wow! It looks amazing!

Three Sheep Studio said...

Beautiful work and great music !
Rose

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest one....your sketches are great to see, as I can figure out HOW you manage to transfer your thoughts...it's like a poet's rough draft...but your sketches are much prettier! LOVE THAT BASKET OF FELT FLOWERS...such happiness and joy to find here, always. XOXOX

Jeanette said...

Ooo I love it so much. Just stunningly gorgeous. Hugs, xx.

Jodi Connors (Mountain Gurl Quilts) said...

I love this, cannot wait to see more of where your journey takes you!

Jodi

tink's mom said...

Love watching the process. Wonderful outcome. Can't wait to see the finish.

Erica said...

I love it. It was a good journey! Always stay true to yourself! :-)

Jenny Bonynge said...

With Spring here that wool basket is SO perfect! Great design...Lindsay rocks that violin, eh??? You will have such a good time...

Little Miss Titch said...

I love the end design Michelle,And I can't weight to see it finished,xx Rachel

Unknown said...

Beautiful design; beautiful music; beautiful day!

Sheila said...

It is just wonderful , I love what you have done !

kc said...

I love how you've managed to include a heart! Glad your mojo kicked in and turned out a wonderful piece!

Annette Tait said...

adorable! and so 'your' style too :) xxxxx

RG said...

That music at 9 pm - NOOOOOOOoooooo ... that is "Get Out Of Bed" music!

Starr White said...

Oh yes, much better! I love this.

Diane said...

What a fun pattern Michelle.

Hugs diane

Raewyn said...

It is gorgeous Michelle!

StitchinByTheLake said...

It's going to be gorgeous Shell! blessings, marlene

DIGBY said...

Beautiful, Michelle! I hope you will be including it in your next book.
Hugs to Harrington and Hannah!

Createology said...

Oh I totally adore that you didn't settle for the flowers that didn't speak to you. Sew much better without the fabrics in this case. Very clever of you dear to step back and begin fresh. Creative Bliss...

Quilt Rat said...

LOVE it! This is already beautiful.....have fun with the embellishments!

Gotta tell ya.....I RARELY get a chance to see Quilting Arts, but today I am at home and turned it on to find that is YOUR episode.....I am going to sit right here so I don't miss a moment

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

Love it Michelle! Can't wait to see it all finished! I am finally having time to get back to normal after months of business...can't wait to pick up a needle in a few minutes! Thanks for the inspiration!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...