Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Slow Stitching and the Builder

Hi ya!

I'm sure you have heard of the slow stitching movement that is going on right now. If you haven't, it's all about how people are slowing down and enjoying the peace and enjoyment of hand stitching. I think if you are a person who enjoys embroidery and hand quilting, it is very appealing. It's not for everyone and certainly not for those who like to produce lots and lots of projects in a year.


However, for me, I really love it. I find it meditative. It's time I take to sit and listen to music, be with Hannah in the studio and basically dream and imagine. This is a sneaky peeky of Dillon Dragonfly. He will be a new class in addition to being a pattern and kit.


I am having a lot of fun stitching him. A needle pulling thread is very comforting and therapeutic, which is good as the job I accepted with the builder McKee Homes of my house is busy. I'm their new Selections Coordinator here in Wilmington. Basically, this means when you buy one of their homes, I will be the person to help you pick all your colors, cabinets, plumbing, lighting, etc. My most favorite parts of building for sure! :)

It's only part time, so no worries, I will not be giving up my designing and teaching of Folk Art Fusion. After all, I really do love being an artist and I'm an artist first, but helping people decorate their homes is an equal, creative passion.  ;)

See ya next Wednesday!
Michelle

20 comments:

Erica said...

Oh my gosh....Dillon is going to be gorgeous. I love his colours. Slow stitching rules!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

SO MUCH goodness to talk about here....where to begin?

First of all, I believe in getting back to a slower life. OH YES. A slower pace helps us reconnect with ourselves, and as artists, this is imperative. Sitting down to work with your mind and hands while listening to music is AWESOME and changes everything, like a cup of tea. AND SECONDLY, I am thrilled to hear about your part-time gig!What a fantastic position you will have, to yet again decorate and help others find the right mood for their new homes! This is terrific news, Shell! Give Miss Hannah-Banana a hug!

Sheila said...

Can't wait to see Million finished. I love dragonflies so may have to have him.

tink's mom said...

Such an ideal job for a creative mind. Enjoy. I've been doing some red work and knitting socks. Definitely not as fast as how I quilt but definitely calming.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Beautiful new project. And congratulations on your new part time job.

paulette said...

Lovely stitching! And congrats on the new job...sounds like a fun, creative job!

CalamityJr said...

Your new "job" sounds perfect for you, so it should be more of a pleasure than just a job! I'm partial to dragonflies, and I'm looking forward to having Dillon visit my home when he's available.

Shirley said...

Good Morning, I have enjoyed catching up with you this morning. I agree about the hand work. It gives me something else to think about other then what is going on in my life at the present time. I am getting anxious to see your home finished because I know it will be beautiful. I am waiting to see your dragonfly finished. Take care my friend. Hugs and Prayers from your Missouri Friend.

Createology said...

Slow stitching is exactly what I am looking forward to in 2016. Dillon Dragonfly is gorgeous! Blessings on being able to enjoy two passions you love. Congratulations Dear.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Wow--a new job and one right up your alley!!! Have fun with it--
and I love dragon flies too--great new choice for a workshop project--
smiles, di

Susanne said...

Dear Shell, Congratulation with your new job, sound just like a perfect job for you. Looking foreward to see and hear more about tat and your house. Best regards from the Rune, the girls and Susanne (your Danish Family)

Annette Tait said...

congratulations on your pt job Shell! very creative! so nice that you sit and dream with Hannah, such a beautiful way to spend time :) Happy Holidays to you, lots of love Scotty xxx

Jeanette said...

Dillon looks gorgeous. Congratulations on your job. Hugs,xx

Allie-oops Designs said...

Well gee I was trendy before it was a trend, lol - I adore slow stitching, mainly because I can't stitch fast! But I too love the slow, meditative process. Very therapeutic. Dillon is just gorgeous already. And congrats on your job, a dream job for sure!!!

RG said...

I have no idea why, but I can sew a button on anything with needle and thread. I have a 6th sense ability to poke the needle from the bottom, blind side right up through the right button hole every time!!! And when I put them on, they STAY on!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Such beautiful colors in this piece Shell - it's looking really beautiful. blessings, marlene

Elvira said...

¡¡¡¡ Que preciosidad !!!!
Me encantan las libélulas, y estos colores que has elegido son muy adecuados
Besos

Quilt Rat said...

Whoa....Dillon is looking pretty fabulous!!!! Love that colour combo!

Sherry said...

Your new job sounds perfect for you. I too like the idea of slow stitching, I have a few projects that fit that idea that I would love to get back to this year.

Lesley said...

Dillon is looking pretty cute! Congrats on your new job...sounds like a perfect fit!

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...