Saturday, April 1, 2017

Packhorse Bridge - Block 4 of the journey down Briarside Lane

Hello travelers! We are delighted you have joined us as we make our way across the Packhorse Bridge, the fourth stop on our journey down Briarside Lane.



The Packhorse Bridge – by Jules Woolford

On an early autumn morning, we are wrapped up warmly against the frosty air. The lane is leading us through the wooded valleys of Exmoor, where a tumbling stream murmurs and chatters as water flows over moss-covered rocks. We need to cross the creek – but how?
The answer lies ahead of us. Framed against the purple and gold of the distant heather moorland, is an old, stone, packhorse bridge.
Today, it’s a beautiful remnant of the past, bedecked with moss and lichen, wreathed in wild flowers and clambering ivy. Once though, centuries ago, this was a much busier crossing place; many travellers walked and rode across the cobbled arch. We follow in their footsteps, pausing a moment to take in the tranquil scene. Almost on cue, a heron, standing like a sentinel on the far bank, silently takes flight across the water. It’s the final touch of wonder in this lovely, peaceful place.


The Back Story: Jules’ favorite place in the world is the beautiful Exmoor National Park. It’s a unique landscape of moorland, woodland, valleys and farmland, shaped by people and nature over thousands of years. Medieval, packhorse bridges are common here. Today they are used by hikers and horseback riders… and much photographed! This stop on Briarside Lane is based on the famous ‘Robbers Bridge’ which crosses the tumbling Weir Water. A magical place where brown trout swim, heron fish and Red Deer roam over the moor.

Here is Jules' original painting that inspired my wool and embroidery version.


Here is how the block looked before I stitched it. Isn't it amazing how much life the embroidery and Valdani threads add?


My dear friend, Babs Fullerton, stitched the embroidery version. I love seeing how she is inspired to stitch each piece.



The e-Pattern and wool felt kits are available in my shop.



I still have a few of the Valdani thread collections available



and Soft Fuse fusible web


and embroidery needles


and bunny scissors if you are needing a few extra goodies for yourself or a perfect Easter gift for a sewing friend.


So hop on over to the SHOP.  As always, we are delighted to share this adventure with you and are truly grateful for your friendship and support of our small business.

Hugs and hoppy stitching!
Michelle, Jules and the Bunnies

9 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Love, love, love.

Let's never let our visions die, OK? We are the ones who preserve the forest and the lakes, the air and the animals....this is just beautiful. The craftsmanship alone is outstanding, but to capture a place with scraps of felt, now that's art. I LOVE THIS.

Kigwit said...

I am loving Briarside Lane. So far each block has been my favorite. I haven't started stitching yet but I am really looking forward to the experience. Thank you so much!

Sparklyjools said...

Love it, love it! And Babs is doing a fabulous job! x

Barb said...

You my dear are one very creative, clever, amazing lady

Erica said...

Awesome, as usual. You never let us down!

Petal49 said...

Just lovely; thank you Jules and Michelle. I have just about finished Block 3 so will be ready when my kit arrives.

kc said...

Amazing transformation from ah, that's cute, to WOW, that's beautiful! Transports you right there, to the bridge. Wondering where's the troll?

LOVE it!

Createology said...

I must add this to my collections. I adore how Jules' travels inspire such lovely blocks. Sew special...<3

Crafty Green Poet said...

that's a lovely design

Lady Hannah Goldenhare - Nothing Gold Can Stay

Hello dear friends, It's been a minute hasn't it? My last post was over a year ago. I decided I wanted to stay in my bubble where it...